Monday, July 21, 2008

The Shackeltons E-Interview Pt. 3: Mark

Here is the third installment of the Shackeltons interview series. This time all of your queries about the The Shackeltons lead singer extraordinaire Mark Redding shall be answered...as long as they are the same as my queries, that is.
To read Eric's interview click here
To read Dan's interview click here

When did the band form and how did you all meet?
We live in a small town (chambersburg, pop: 25,000). The streets echo of loneliness and small town fevers. We met under the covers of darkness one night at an underground musician's railroad. Eric and Justin were being moved to canada, where musicians are free men, and not slaves. Dan was working for the underground railroad and Sean was just hanging around because thats really all Sean knows how to do. I was protecting the site.


Where does the name of the band come from?
I was reading the book, "The Endurance: The Adventure of Ernest Shackleton" and found the story to be full of courage and the glory of the human spirit- faith, hope, and love. It made sense to name the band in honor of ernest and his men. I just happened to misspell the name (changed the "e" and the "l" around) when registering the name for our website.


Who are your biggest musical influences?
Otis Redding, Johnny Cash, The Carter Family, Early Gospel Music, Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder, and my mom.


Do you have any other major influences? Personal? Political? Literary? 
My mom, my country, other countries, Charles Dickinson, my town, Emily Dickinson, the holy spirit, widows, orphans, clean homes, sorrow, dictionaries, people who try hard in thier jobs, vegtables, grains, pollen, bees, bikes, kids, grandparents, parents, breaking hearts, fainting knots, lakes, mountains, rubies, my seven siblings, green trees, open fields, basketball, tennis, badminton, radios, no televisions, plays, comedy, family, church, dogs in other's care, books on cd, other musicians who have tender hearts, and a good movie on an airplane.


Is this something you’ve all always wanted to do, or were there other things you were set on becoming, like pilots or…acrobats?
When i was a little boy, i wanted to be a trucker. It kinda came true, im in a band. But this is something I have always dreamed of doing. My other dreams are going to be revealed in the years to come. I dont want to ruin the suprise. You just wait and see.


What was the weirdest thing to ever happen to you guys on tour?
We played a record store in indianapolis and two guys came. The store photographer and a guy who didnt know we were playing. We sold zero cds. A week later justin has to take a crap. We are in the middle of North Dakota. We pull off at some small town with a bar. He doesnt want to go in. I tell him its his only option. He follows me in. The bartender plays our cd. We sell 4 cds and sign posters. So much for playing hipster record stores. Lets just take craps in small town bars....


Any creepy, crazy or stalker-ey fans yet?
Not sure if we are pretty enough for that.


Have you ever written any songs that you are truly embarrassed by now?
Yes. But not with this band. I'm an embarrassing guy.


If you could only listen to one album for the rest of your life, what would it be?
I cant imagine that. Maybe i would like to hear my mom singing songs. It would be better to hear my mom's voice than some stranger's.


If your music was a shape, what would it be?
Bubble gum. You chew it as you go.


If you were to do some crazy unrelated side project, what would it sound like?
www.myspace.com/WeGetIntoIt


Favorite band that you’ve played a show with?
Ramona Cordova, Clinic, Skeletonbreath, Blind Boys of Alabama


If you could have any superpower, what would it be, and why?
Flying. I would help me commute.


What is your dream show to play (who would you play with, and where)?
Blind Boys of Alabama, Skeletonbreath, Otis Redding, Arizona, FM Belfast, and the Mellors. We would do a world tour. Otis Redding would have to come back to life.


Is there anything else you would like to declare to your public?
I declare that their hearts are tender and lovely. I am honored to be a part of thier life.

No comments: