Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Loveless Goes to Pitchfork

You’ll no doubt be reading all about this weekend’s Pitchfork Festival held in Chicago. You’ll read all about the performances and who everyone’s favorites were.

However, I will give you a behind the scenes account of everything that I did and my adventure in Chicago. For the past two years, I have flown to Chicago to work at the festival to help Loveless friend and Tom Brosseau’s manager Mary Jones. Mary is the Production Manager for the festival who pretty much rocks.

This year, I was helping with artist check-in, which is pretty cake job. It’s always interesting to meet road weary bands and hear the stories they have about their tour so far. The other kick ass thing about my job was driving the golf cart around the festival. I’ve now realized that if I ever decide to quit working in the music biz, I have a career as a golf cart driver.

Here are some of the things I did this weekend!

Friday
I went food shopping for some of the items on the Public Enemy rider plus went through the KFC drive thru for some finger lickin’ good chicken!

Now I don’t get star struck too often, but I will say it was super cool to meet Chuck D. He came over to the area to check in, said hello and shook my hand. Super nice guy. Sadly, I didn’t get to meet Flava Flav, but I did see him when he walked in. I haven’t really watched “Flavor of Love” but I did laugh my when one of the people I was working with said “Who wouldn’t want to marry him?” as he walked by. We all know what my Tivo will be recording next week!

Saturday
Saturday there was a lot more to do as most artists checked in that day. Saturday involved me driving artists and their gear back and forth to their stages. Did I mention that I want to be a professional golf cart driver? It also involved me just taking the golf cart for a spin around the festival grounds.

It rained like it never rained before and I got stuck drinking at the after party with a massive thunderstorm so I couldn’t leave… so I just had to keep drinking free 312 Goose Island beer.

Sunday
All you really need to know is that Julia Stiles was standing next to me during Dinosaur Jr. I really wanted to take her for a ride on the golf cart, but I didn’t get a chance to ask her. She left before their set was over. I'm not sure what my obsession is with the golf carts, but I now what to go golfing... and I don't even like golf!

My festival ended up with me at the after party discussing hair metal albums that came out in 1989 and trying on Pitchfork idol Ryan Schreiber's sunglasses. He has nice sunglasses and there were a lot of hair metal bands in 1989.

Then it was off to the airport for a 6:00 am flight. Still recovering from last night's events, I was a little worse for the weary. Luckily, no one could tell and I was able to get on the plane under the radar!

All in all it was a great weekend. I met a ton of cool new people, work with some really kick ass people and did see some amazing bands.

There's a reason I've gone to as many music festivals as I have and why I will continue to go whenever possible.

Next: Capitol Hill Block Party! Watch Out!

PS - there are no pictures from this trip as I think I broke my camera.

No comments: