Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Shackeltons E-Interview Pt. 1: Eric

Hello Everyone!
Sadly for this blogger/intern, the last time Loveless band The Shackeltons were in Seattle, there wasn't time to interview them. Since I am far away from the emerald city for the summer and will unfortunately not be able to see their sure-to-be-awesome Bumbershoot set (Sunday 8/31, 2:30 PM, Rockstar Stage, check it out!), I'm doing an e-interview with each of the individual band members.
Feel like you want to know the members of The Shackeltons a little better? You're in luck! There will be an installment for each of the five band members, starting with Eric!



When did the band form and how did you all meet?
I've known Mark for about 12 years (I don't remember how we met). I have been in a band with him for 6 years. As the band changed, we slowly incorporated the other guys in the band. We met Dan & Sean through other bands & we met Justin through his brother, Josh, our old bass player.


Where does the name of the band come from?
 That's a Mark question.


Who are your biggest musical influences? 
I love old surf rock & old punk rock. I have been listening to a lot of Television. I also have studied classical guitar for years. I have been playing a lot of Fransisco Tarrega. 


Do you have any other major influences? Personal? Political? Literary? 
My wife.


Is this something you’ve all always wanted to do, or were there other
things you were set on becoming, like a pilot or…an acrobat?
In college I majored in Music Therapy & I have graduate credits in Music Ed. Over the years I have contemplated pursueing other carreer paths, but the only thing I've truly wanted to do since I was 12 was be a performing musician.

What was the weirdest thing to ever happen to you guys on tour?
That's hard to say. When we did our U.S. tour, we dodged several major storms. Example: We had spaghetti in Fargo & the weather was fine. They got 20 inches of snow the next day.

Any creepy, crazy or stalker-ey fans yet?
I'm not hot enough to have a stalker. It is probably better that way.


Have you ever written any songs that you are truly embarrassed by now? 
Not really. Musicians change & develop. If people can't understand that, it is their problem.


If you could only listen to one album for the rest of your life, what
would it be? 
That is not a fair question :) No one album can ever satisfy a music lover. I'll give you a list (I have thought about this):

Television- Marquee Moon
Velvet Underground & Nico
The Smiths-Louder Than Bombs
Nirvana- Nevermind &
A recording of Igor Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring"


If your music was a shape, what would it be? 
An amoeba


If you were to do some crazy unrelated side project, what would it
sound like?
I would love to do classical arrangements with a trio: drums, bass, guitar.


Favorite band that you’ve played a show with? 
SkeletonBreath

If you could have any superpower, what would it be, and why?
Teleportation would make touring easy.

What is your dream show to play (who would you play with, and where)? 
Madison Square Garden, I don't care with whom.

Is there anything else you would like to declare to your public? 
Hi. I hope you like our music.

No comments: